The City of Olathe has a great opportunity for a committed, team oriented, and highly motivated MPA graduate (or student who has completed all MPA coursework) to join the City Manager’s Office as a Management Fellow. Under the direction of the Assistant City Manager, the Management Fellow performs developmental-level professional work for the City Manager’s Office and participates in and leads a variety of projects contributing to the continued success of various organization-wide initiatives. The duties and responsibilities of the Management Fellow are designed to further prepare the incumbent for a successful career in local government management.
- Perform developmental-level professional administrative work, research, and analysis in support of the City Manager’s office, the Mayor, and Council as directed.
- Interact regularly with personnel from other departments to ensure effective interdepartmental communication and maximize operational effectiveness.
- Respond to citizen inquiries/requests and resolve all issues within assigned scope of responsibility in a timely manner, referring more complex issues to the Assistant City Manager for resolution.
- Assist with developing and implementing projects and programs impacting one or more City departments.
- Facilitate program for Olathe third graders to learn about local government.
- Act as staff advisor to the Olathe Teen Council.
- Assist with the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) budgetary process by inputting data, performing appropriate analysis, and preparing necessary reports.
- Attend and participate in various organizational meetings of the City Council and Council sub-committees as directed.
- May facilitate employee committee or ad hoc groups.
- Perform duties and responsibilities as required.
Education: Requires a Master of Public Administration (or student who has completed
all MPA coursework) or equivalent degree by July 1.
Knowledge of: General knowledge of municipal governments, city regulations/codes and ordinances.
For consideration, you must submit ALL of the following material by January 30, 2019:
1. Cover Letter
3. Three Professional References
4. City of Olathe on-line Employment Application
For additional information regarding the Management Intern Recruitment Process Click here.